Friday 9 November 2012

Mexican Hot Chocolate...... yummy!!

As the nights (and days) are getting colder I realised it was that time of year again to make a big batch of Mexican hot chocolate.  After making it, I thought I should share it with you all as it truly does warm you up....

As I don't have a food processor of my own I asked my lovely Mum if I could borrow hers as grating chocolate by hand takes a loooooong time!  So I've made her a little jar of it as a thank you (will be giving it to her tomorrow).



So here's the recipe for making 2 yummy cups of hot chocolate:

Ingredients
  • 2 cups of milk
  • 1 tbsp brown sugar
  • 125g of dark chocolate (or a mix of dark and milk like I did) - finely chopped or grated
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
  • 1/8 tsp cinnamon
  • Pinch of cayenne pepper
Method
  • Heat the milk and sugar, when sugar has dissolved, turn off the heat
  • Add in the chocolate, cinnamon and cayenne pepper until the chocolate has melted
  • Bring back up to a simmer for 3 minutes
  • Sieve mixture before pouring into pre-heated cups
  • Enjoy!

If you want to make a bulk batch for yourself or as presents then all you do is scale up the measurements of the chocolate, sugar and cinnamon and add to jars and decorate. 




Don't add the cayenne pepper until you make it as it gets lost in all of the ingredients and you don't get that kick.  Also, don't add the vanilla essence to the bulk mix as it just makes it wet.  So you can either buy these to go with your hot chocolate gift or leave it if you know that your recipient has a well stocked spice and baking cupboard! 

Finally, add the method for making to the jar and voila..... Yummy Mexican hot chocolate




Until next time...

Amanda xx

No comments:

Post a Comment