Saturday 18 August 2012

Cushion Covers

Hello All,

Hope you've all been enjoying the sunshine!  I took a break from over heating to do something I have been meaning to for AGES......  make new cushion covers.  So I decided while I was making them to photograph what I was doing and create a step by step guide.

This is to make a 56cm square envelope cushion cover with the front fabric being different to the back.....

What you need:

- 58cm x 58cm of front fabric (upholstry fabric was used)
- Two pieces of back fabric (thick cotton/poly blend was used) measuring 58cm x 41 cm
- Pins
- Tailors chalk or pencil
- Tape measure
- Matching thread
- Cushion pad
- Fabric scissors
- Sewing machine (or you can hand sew!)



Method:

1.  Be organised and get all of your bits together.

2.  Measure and mark out your fabric using a tape measure and tailors chalk.


 3.  Cut out your fabric using fabric scissors (best not to use scissors that have cut paper as these tend to be blunter and therefore don't give as clean a cut).


4. With the backing fabric, on the longest side you need to create a neat edge as this will be on show.  To do this, fold over 1cm of fabric and then fold it over again by 1cm, pin in place.


5.  Then head over to the sewing machine and stitch this hem in place. 


NB - I used a straight stitch and a chocolate brown thread to contrast against the blue.


6.  Time to construct the cushion cover.  Place one of the backing pieces on top of the front fabric, you want the sides that will be showing on the cushion at the end to be facing each other (this is known as right side together).


 7.  And pin together.


8.  Do the same for the second pieces of backing fabric

9.   You will now have an "inside out" cushion cover, so turn it back the right way and tada......


NB - should have maybe ironed the fabric first!!

You may have noticed in the first pic (and if you didn't how many of you scrolled back to the top!?) there were some buttons, the plan had been to finish the back off with buttons, but having a 10cm overlap for the "envelope" made me think it wasn't needed so I've come up with another use for them!

So there we have it, my finished cushion cover, only 6 more to make haha!

 

Happy crafting everyone!

Until next time...

Amanda xx

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for your tutorial. This year I'm going to learn how to sew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome, once you've learnt you'll never look back!

      Depending on where you live there are some great craft and sewing classes that teach sewing basics, there are also some really good step by step books.

      For more tutorials I would take a look at this blog - http://sew-good.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/christmas-stockings-and-tutorial.html If you stop by please say hello from me!

      Good luck and it would be great to know how you get on x

      Delete
  2. Oh Thank you for the link. This will help and I think I'll be learn how to sew from my head. I've been watching my mum sewing for years now it's my time....:)

    ReplyDelete